Wednesday, September 14, 2016

My Recent Deconstructed & Reworked Project

I have few rework projects that I plan to tackle soon. However, the first project that I couldn't wait to start was one of my leather jackets.

The Core Pieces

Piece I:
I bought my Via Spiga motorcycle-style jacket from Gilt several years ago. It featured elasticized leather side panels and a fitted, bomber-jacket-styled bottom trim. I only wore it as a layering piece, under my Graham and Spencer faux fur vest. I wanted to add a little funky drama so I could increase the reach factor.

Piece II:
I've had my never-worn Armani Exchange lace-up belt so long that I actually forgot I owned it. I knew it would be the perfect funky detail for the jacket.

The Process:

I removed the bomber-style trim, then made the back the higher section of its new, high-low raw hem. Next I opened a portion of the back, middle seam and added the belt using leather thread in a whip-stitch (Yep, this addition was hand-sewn.).

I'm loving the final results and can't wait to rock this jacket.