There has always been a special connection between the fashion and music industries. Prime examples include Madonna and Jean Paul Gaultier, Streisand and Donna Karan, the performers at the Victoria's Secret shows and Pharrell in his now-signature Vivienne Westwood hats.
Of course, there are some from the music industry who have built/co-founded their own successful brands; Gwen Stefani, Victoria Beckham, Russell Simmons, etc.
These days, musicians are increasingly accepting gigs as the face of fashion brands. It has quickly become the new norm. Lady Gaga was at the forefront of the trend when she participated in the first Thierry Mugler show designed by her former stylist, Nicola Formichetti. Alexander Wang featured Santigold in his FW11 video and ad campaigns. Wang had also used Zoe Kravitz and Diplo in previous ad campaigns. The music industry continues to give models and Hollywood (who traditionally filled these roles) a run for the money.
The latest list of brand ambassadors/collaborations include:
- Rihanna - Creative Director and Brand Ambassador for Puma.
- Kanye West - with Kim, are the faces of Balmain's SS15 Men campaign.
- Pharrell Williams - A partnership with Adidas, which includes the brand's agreement to use Pharrell's fabric company, Bionic Yarn. Bionic Yarn produces textiles made from recycled, plastic debris found in the ocean. Pharrell has previously collaborated with Reebok and Louis Vuitton. He also formed a partnership with Japanese fashion icon Nigo to create Billionaire Boys Club and Ice Cream.
- Madonna - The new face of Versace's SS15 campaign (replacing Lady Gaga (SS14)).
- Nicki Minaj - The face of Roberto Cavalli's SS15 campaign.
- Calvin Harris - The face of Emporio Armani's SS15 Men campaign.